6/12/2011Do you and your child always wear a bicycle helmet? Does the helmet fit properly and meet current safety standards? Before you get on a bike again you might want to give careful consideration to these questions and to the information about bicycle helmets provided below.
Dover Law Firm
Dover Law Firm
According to the Georgia Department of Transportation*:
- Bicycle helmets reduce the risk of head injury by 85%.
- Helmets must be positioned correctly on a biker's head in order to be as effective as possible.
- Helmets should always be buckled and fit snugly.
- A helmet should meet (or exceed) standards set by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- Only 12.2% of Georgia bike riders involved in accidents with motor vehicles from 2000 - 2006 were wearing helmets.
- 96 of the 118 Georgia bike accident fatalities that occurred with motor vehicles involved bikers who were not wearing helmets.
It is Important to Call a Marietta Auto Attorney Regardless of Whether You Are Wearing a Helmet at the Time of Your Crash.
While it is important to wear a helmet to protect your own safety and health during a Marietta bike wreck, you may not completely forego your rights to damages if you were not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.
An experienced Marietta auto lawyer will help you determine if you are entitled to damages and, if so, will fight zealously for your fair recovery. Please call a Marietta injury attorney today at 1.770.518.1133 for more information.
*Source: Georgia Department of Transportation, Crash Analysis, Statistics & Information Notebook 2008 p 100-102
Read More About Georgia Bike Accidents in Our Library Article A Marietta Auto Attorney Explains Why You Need to Know About Georgia Bike Crashes.
Category: Auto/Truck Wreck
Comments are closed.