Dover Law Firm
Because 32 motorists died in 2009 due to work zone accidents in Georgia, drivers need to be aware of road construction and the dangers work zones can pose to them and their passengers.
In addition to the injuries and deaths that work zone accidents cause for motorists, they also are to blame for highway worker fatalities. In January 2011, the Georgia DOT suffered its 57th work zone fatality since 1973.
Facts on work zone accidents
- For every 8.2 hours, one work zone fatality occurs across the nation (about 3 a day).
- For every 9 minutes, one work zone injury occurs nationwide (about 160 injuries per day).
- About 40,000 people suffer injuries due to auto accidents in work zones each year nationwide.
- About 85% of work zone fatalities affect motorists and passengers.
- Only about 15% of work zone fatalities are to the work crews.
- The majority of work zone accidents involve cars colliding with heavy machines like pavers, cranes, and cement mixers.
Remember to drive the posted speed limit in work zones for your safety and the safety of others on the road. Also, according to Georgia law, a person who exceeds the speed limit in a work zone can be fined between $100 and $2,000 or spend up to one year in jail.
If you were injured in an Atlanta auto accident due to someone else's negligence, please call The Dover Law Firm at 1.770.518.1133 today and speak with one of our Atlanta auto accident lawyers in a free legal consultation.