What to do After a Car Crash
Car accidents are commonplace on the road today, but many people are not sure what they should do if they are ever in an accident. The following are some helpful tips if you are involved in a traffic accident:
- First and foremost, check for injuries. Remember that life and health are more important than damage to property or vehicles involved. If anyone is injured, call 911 to summon an ambulance. If there is any risk that injuries have occurred, it is very important to ensure that the injured party receives the attention and care of medical professionals as soon as possible. Remember that some injuries may not be apparent to the casual observer and the effects of some injuries can be significantly delayed. Whether you call an ambulance to the scene or contact your doctor promptly after leaving the scene, you should never hesitate to get checked out by medical professionals even when you feel okay.
- After the medical needs of injured parties have been addressed, take note of specific damages to all of the vehicles involved. Proceed to call the police even if the accident is minor. It is important to contact the police because it will provide proof of the accident, and will allow for an immediate investigation of the scene of the accident. In addition, police will take statements of witnesses, and will examine the other driver to check for drug or alcohol use. The police can also be valuable witnesses to your injury at the scene, and they can assist in securing an admission of fault from the negligent driver.
- Write down the names, mailing addresses, and license numbers of persons involved in the accident. Also, write a description of the other vehicles and record the license plate number.
- Collect the names, addresses, and phone numbers of anyone who may have witnessed the accident. This can help to resolve any disagreements that arise in regards to how the accident unfolded.
- If you are safely able, you should immediately contact an attorney who is experienced in handling personal injury matters. At Dover Law Firm, we will promptly arrange for an attorney to consult with you free of charge so as to enable us to immediately take action on your behalf, while all of the evidence is still "fresh." If necessary and feasible, we will have an investigator conduct a thorough analysis of the accident scene so that no evidence goes undetected.
An experienced and knowledgeable attorney can advise you and answer your questions regarding the best way to proceed. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, contact Dover Law Firm at 770-518-1133!