Salmonella Death Led to Wrongful-Death Suit Against Winn-Dixie
Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc. was hit with a wrongful death lawsuit this month over its fried chicken.
The family of a woman who consumed the chicken, contracted salmonella and died four months later filed the suit against the grocery chain in Daytona Beach Circuit Court.
Back in late November, Elizabeth Graham consumed chicken from a Daytona Beach-area Winn-Dixie and became ill days later. She was diagnosed with salmonella by the Halifax Medical Center. Confirmation was given by the Florida Department of Health.
The suit claims the decedent suffered kidney and other organ damage from the salmonella, causing her to be hospitalized repeatedly before her death in March. She was 74.
Salmonella is a bacteria carried by chickens, cows and turtles which causes intestinal infections in humans, according to Wikipedia. It is manifested in poultry and raw eggs.
Founded in 1925, Winn-Dixie is based in Jacksonville and had estimated sales of $7.5 billion in 2006. In February 2005, the retailer filed for bankruptcy, closing 373 of its stores. Analysts point to the emergence of Wal-Mart in the Southeast as a deterrent in Winn-Dixie profits.