Is Atlanta a Safe Place to Drive?As an Atlanta area driver, you know that driving around Georgia's capital city and largest city is different than driving in other parts of the state. The city roads are congested and the highways are crowded. Everyone seems to be in a rush to get where they are going and the fast paced city life makes driving seem perilous. Just how dangerous is it to drive in Atlanta? Consider the facts below so that you can make an educated assessment about the risks of an Atlanta car crash.
Atlanta Car Accidents Compared to Crashes in Other Large U.S. Cities
In the Allstate Insurance Sixth Annual "Allstate America's Best Drivers Report" Atlanta ranked 146 out of 200 U.S. cities for driving safety. According to the Allstate report, Atlanta drivers have a 22.4% greater chance of being in an accident than the national average for accidents in large cities. Also, Atlanta drivers only go an average of 8.2 years between crashes.
Atlanta Car Accidents Compared to Crashes in Other Parts of Georgia
Atlanta drivers don't fare much better when compared to drivers in other parts of the state. According to the Georgia Department of Transportation, the following was true of Atlanta accidents in 2006 (the most recent year for which statistics are available):
- There were 151,193 accidents in Atlanta and 51,766 in suburban Atlanta.
- Other cities in Georgia experienced a combined 56,905 crashes in 2006, while rural areas experienced 82,670 crashes.
- 49,939 people were injured in Atlanta crashes, and 21,314 people were injured in suburban Atlanta crashes.
- 22,632 people suffered injuries in other Georgia cities, and 39,670 people were hurt in rural crashes.
- 398 people were killed in Atlanta crashes, and 267 people were killed in suburban Atlanta crashes.
- 281 people were killed in other Georgia cities, and 757 people were killed in rural Georgia.
Contact Auto Accident Attorneys in Atlanta After a Crash
If you have been hurt or if your loved one has been killed in an Atlanta car accident, then it is important to call an experienced Atlanta auto accident lawyer as soon as possible for more information about your rights and potential recovery.
The experienced Atlanta car accident lawyers of The Dover Law Firm encourage you to call us today at 1.770.518.1133 for a free consultation and to read our free book, 4 Common Mistakes That Will Ruin Your Georgia Car or Truck Claim, to learn more about what you can do to protect your rights.